TEXT: ROMANS 5:17, GENESIS 1:27, JEREMIAH 17:9, 2 CORINTHIANS 5:17
This week John continued our series on Jesus loves me: Christian essentials for the head and the heart. He focused in on the personal this week; the "me". We were reminded that we are a glorious ruin being restored. There is glory and ruin in all of us. As Christ transforms our hearts and lives we find the "ruin" being restored to reflect the "glory".
Target time: 5-10 minutes
Target time: 45-50 minutes
Read Rom. 5:15-17 and discuss the questions below.
- Discuss the phrase "but the free gift is not like the trespass [Adam's sin]". How is Jesus' free gift different than Adam's sin and its impact?
Read Rom. 5:18-21 and discuss the questions below.
- Look at the phrase "so by one man's obedience the many will be made righteous". How would you explain (in less than 30 seconds) this phrase to a new believer?
- Righteous means being in right standing with God. It could also be described as having the scales balanced in your favor.
- Leaders- try something a bit corny (but impactful). Have your group members look to those on their right and left (if they are believers) and say, "You are righteous because of Christ".
- Verse 19 and 21 say that you as a Christian, right now and for the rest of your life, are righteous. How do you believe this truth even when you do not feel that it is true?
- Look at this graph that John shared with us in service. Discuss the six areas and how you personally have seen them in action.
- Thinking about your own life, look at the "Ruin" column. Which one of these six areas is the most challenging for you right now? Share with the group how they can support and encourage as you tackle this area this week.
Live It Out:
Who do you know that needs to be healed by Jesus' free gift of grace? Think about ways this week and leading up to Easter that you, by your life, words and actions, can be encouraging to them to become a glorious ruin being restored by Christ.
Thank Christ for what He has done in you (righteous, eternal life, etc...).
Pray for the person you thought of who needs to experience healing and restoration that can only come through salvation by believing in Jesus Christ.