Text: 2 Corinthians 10:3-5
This last weekend Pastor John shared about the impact of the media on our individual lives and our culture as a whole. The one main question he sought to help us answer was: How do I intake enough news to understand what's happening in the world, but without becoming depressed or shaped by the news?
Target time: 5-10 minutes
What is your favorite news source and why? What is the overall tone of that media source (positive, negative, alarmist, etc...)?
Target time: 45-50 minutes
Small Group Leaders - This is the last small group study guide that will be written until September. These sermon-based study guides will start again with the Fall launch in September. Most small groups take a break from their regular meeting times over the summer and opt to get together occasionally for dinners or fun community-building times. Have a wonderful summer!
Read 2 Cor. 10:3-5
- What is the process by which thoughts become actions in your life?
- What does it look like for you to "take a thought captive" rather than acting on it?
- Ask people to speak to (if they haven't already) how the Holy Spirit plays a significant role in taking thoughts captive.
- Take a quick inventory of your intake of ideas and information during the last 24 hours. Who or what are the primary voices?
- Share about a time when another person shaped your thoughts in a way that had a profound impact on the direction of your life.
- This could be a positive or negative impact.
Read 1 Peter 5:8-11
- Personally, how have you experienced the impact of satanic forces competing to shape your thoughts and actions?
- What does it look like to "resist him, firm in the faith" as 1 Peter 5:9 directs us?
- What do you find encouraging about 1 Peter 5:10?
Live It Out:
If you had to compare the intake of Scriptural truth (music, audio books, conversations, reading, Biblical messages) vs. your intake of other ideas and opinions, how would the two compare?
- John challenged us to count the minutes of news intake and make scripture intake/thoughts the higher intake for the next 5 days. Will you take this challenge for the next 5 days?
Pray for each other to be able to see clearly the negative influences that the news, others, and satanic forces seek to have on our thoughts and hearts. Pray for each other as we seek to increase the amount of intake from scripture in our lives this week.