In Genesis God initiates a special covenant with Abram (later Abraham), telling him that God would bless him, and through him, all of the families (nations) of the earth would be blessed. This theme is a golden thread that runs from one end of Scripture to the other (see Genesis 18:18, 2 Chronicles 6:32-33, Psalm 67). God blesses people so that they can be a blessing to others.
- Read Galatians 3:10-14, 26-29.
- Do you think Christians are part of the Abrahamic covenant? Why or why not?
- Read Exodus 19:5-6 and 1 Peter 2:9-12 with the following questions in mind:
- What are the implications of 1 Peter 2:9-12?
- What do all of these word pictures indicate about you as a Christian?
- Read Revelation 7:9-12 and Revelation 21:1-5 with the following questions in mind:
- Will God’s plan succeed?
- What does that reality mean for your life today?
- All of us have a spiritual lineage. Who is a part of your spiritual lineage? In other words, who told you about Christ and who told them?
- Think of a way to express your thankfulness to them this week. Share it during prayer time and pray together encouraging each other to express your thankfulness to them.
- As you pray together, pray for five people who are not currently part of Abraham’s spiritual lineage whom you would love to see in that heavenly multitude. In other words, pray for five people who you would love to see become Jesus followers.