Text: John 19
This week Chip examined John 19 and Jesus’ crucifixion. We remembered and focused on the high price that was paid for each of us by Jesus. We were encouraged towards thankfulness and action as we approach Easter.
Target time: 5-10 minutes
Share with your group one way that God has been using you in the lives of others over the last few weeks.
Target time: 45-50 minutes
Small Group Leaders, please always make an intentional effort to have each person engage in the discussion. Remember, all small group discussions are meant to “…[build] others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen” (Ephesians 4:29b).
Also, as with every week, don't feel pressured to go in-depth on every question, or complete the entire outline. The purpose of this outline is to enhance your group time, and to encourage people to seek a deeper personal relationship with God. Do not let the pressure of thorough completion of the questions distract from what God might be doing in your group, at a deeper level.
Read John 19 and answer the question below.
Have each group member read a few verses at a time so each person gets an opportunity to participate
- What part of John 19 most moved you? Why?
Read Psalm 22:11-21 and answer the questions below
- What similarities do you see between this psalm and the description of Jesus' crucifixion in John 19?
- Is it significant to you that Psalms was written 1,000 years before these events happened? Why or why not? what proof might it give to the claims about Jesus being the Messiah?
- What was it that convinced you that Jesus is the unique Savior of the world? Or, if you aren't a Christian yet, what questions do you still have about Jesus and His claims of being the unique Savior of the world?
- What are the implications for your family, friends, and co-workers if you know this truth and they do not?
Live It Out:
How could you share the incredible truth of John 19, Psalm 22, and Isaiah 53 with a friend, family member, co-worker, or neighbor this week?
What encouragement/support do you need from this group to help make that happen? Go and live that out this week!
Read John 19:35.
Pray that your belief and convictions would be strengthened.
Pray for each other in your group to have courage to share these truths with others.
Pray for those you are connected with in your life that their hearts would be ready to respond to the truth about Jesus.