Welcome (initiates relationship)
- Greet new people and help them feel valued.
- Starts the moment someone is contacted & invited and then continues at group.
- Establishes and models a relational foundation for entire group.
- Invite the Holy Spirit to lead and guide the small group time.
- Prepares hearts for what God wants to do in the group.
- Shifts attention from the individual to the group as a whole.
- Places expectations on God.
Purpose of the Small Group (why we are in a small group)
- To live out the Great Commandment in Matthew 22:37-38, to grow with God, love Him and each other.
- To make biblical disciples in a relational environment (Jesus’ method and model).
- To focus our hearts and minds on biblical community.
- To live life intentionally on mission.
Guidelines (sets appropriate expectations)
- Establishes clear boundaries for a healthy group (see guidelines sheet).
- Helps establish a safe environment where everyone can share openly and honestly.
- Provides biblical guidance for healthy conflict resolution.
- Establishes the group start and stop time.
Icebreaker/Warm-Up/Group Connection Time/Worship
- Intentional activity that sets the stage for transparency.
- Helps create a safe environment.
- Offers ‘low risk’ participation for people to share.
- Options: game, testimony, hook question, or worship.
Topic/Story (Encounter God through His Word)
- This is the ‘business’ of the group, being before God.
- Curriculum, Bible story, agenda, etc., serve as a tool to discover, learn and grow.
Take Away/Recap/Application (Faith in Action)
- Discuss implications of passage - how my beliefs have been challenged by truth.
- Application - What do I need to do in light of God’s truth?
- Challenge to grow beyond present.
- Recognizes what was accomplished in the group.
- Thank group for participating, praise God, encouragement.
- Re-focuses our attention to God and His provision.
- Pray through key subject matter and the implications/applications, personal requests, group needs, praise God.