The group should "warm up" before diving into the study and discussion can begin. This can be accomplished with an effective ice-breaker. The list that follows is simply a compilation of "clusters" of questions that we have used in the past. Some relate to special age seasons of a person’s life, others are more general, but all tend to have themes. Following the "cluster examples" is a lengthy list of questions that you can sort and pick to form your own "clusters." Our experience has been that 3 to 5 questions are more than enough.
Where were you born?
Warmest place in the house?
Nicknames or imaginary friends?
Where did you live between the ages of 6 and 12?
What stands out the most in your mind about the school you attended?
How many brothers and sisters were in your family between the ages of 6 and 12?
Favorite place to play?
If you could change anything during that time, what would it be?
6-12 years (favorites)
Favorite time of day?
Favorite room in the house?
Favorite kind of literature?
- Fast food --- Fancy restaurant
- Bach --- Beatles
- Sports car --- Classic car
- Blind date --- Second choice
- Mountains --- Sea
- Drumstick --- Breast
- Comics --- Sports
- Going steady --- Playing the field
I see myself more like a --- than a ---:
- Rolls Royce --- Volkswagen
- Robin --- Eagle
- Rabbit --- Turtle
- Mountain --- Sea
- Fighter --- Lover
- Clown --- Lion tamer
- Spark plug --- Die Hard battery
- Oak tree --- Evergreen
- New York City --- Small town
- Amusement park --- Library
- Quarterback --- Lineman
- Picture --- Puzzle
Complete this sentence:
As a child, my favorite game was...
At 12, my favorite movie star or athlete was...
As a teenager, my favorite music was...
To get away from it all, I like to...
In the future, I would like to visit...
- Staying up late --- Getting up early
- Classical music --- Popular music
- Shower --- Bath
- Country --- City
- Sea --- Mountains
- Gourmet food --- Meat and potatoes
- Football --- Baseball
- Musical comedy --- Western movies
- Life of ease --- Life of surprises
I am someone who would? (Yes, No, Maybe)
- Y N M Hang up my clothes properly at night
- Y N M Go to the bathroom when a movie gets scary
- Y N M Kiss on the first date
- Y N M Lie about my age
- Y N M Buy the first thing I see at the store
- Y N M Gamble on fourth down in a close game
- Y N M Go skinny dipping
- Y N M Eat exotic food
In grading give yourself 1 point for every (a), 2 points for every (b), 3 points for every (c). Add it up and share your results.
If lost, I would probably...
a) Stop and ask directions
b) Check the map
c) Keep driving on my hunches
On a menu, I look for something...
c) I have never tried before
In playing Monopoly, I would...
a) Play it safe and hide money under the table
b) Hang loose and keep a little money
c) Go for broke and gamble everything
In choosing a job, I would prefer...
a) A routine job with security and benefits
b) A good job with little security
c) An exciting job with no security
In dating I would prefer a....
a) Third choice
b) Second choice
c) Blind date
The first time I tried to swim?
The first time I tried to dance?
The first time I tried to smoke?
The first time I tried to play hooky?
Greatest peer pressure as a teen?
Greatest peer pressure as an adult?
How do you handle peer pressure?
What is your favorite worship song?
How do you react when people sing "Happy Birthday" to you in a restaurant?
When did you last sing to yourself? To someone else?
Who is your favorite singer?
What is your favorite musical instrument?
Belief about God
What three things do you believe without any doubt?
What is usually the first thing that comes to your mind when you think about God?
How would you describe God to a child?
One day as God is sitting around heaven visiting with the angels, He begins to speak highly of you. In His proud, fatherly way, what would He say to show He was pleased with you?
What was the high point of last week? The low point?
What color best describes last week?
What one word best describes last week?
If I knew I had only one year to live, I would spend it...
If I could visit any place in the world, it would be...
If I had a million dollars to spend for the benefit of mankind...
The thing that causes me the greatest satisfaction is...
Wallet scavenger hunt
The most worthless item?
The most priceless item?
The most revealing item?
The most memorable item?
How did you get warm when you were chilled or cold as a child?
When was the first time you kissed a member of the opposite sex?
How old were you when you learned to ride a bike?
During your childhood, where did you feel the center of human warmth was? Was it a room or a person? (For example, the TV room where your family was all together? The kitchen?). It may not have been a room at all; it may have been a person around whom you sensed safety and warmth. Would you care to share?
Relationship with God
When in your life, if ever, did God become more than a word to you?
Using a one sentence prayer, thank God for something or invite Him to come to our meeting tonight.
Describe an experience when the Holy Spirit was your comforter.
When was the first time you became aware of God’s love for you?
What are your strongest convictions about God?
If you could hear God say one thing to you, what would it be?
If you knew God could hear you, what one thing would you most want to say?
What single question would you most want God to answer for you?
Describe the person you have known whom you felt knew God most intimately.
What Would You Do If...
You could take an extra day off work?
You could go anywhere in the world?
You could become an animal for one day?
A picture you were looking at came to life?
Your wildest dreams came true?
Report your feelings by using weather terminology - partly cloudy, sunny, and stormy.
And the list goes on... (mix and match and make clusters)
- Whom do you admire the most? In what ways does that person inspire you?
- If, at birth, you could select the profession your child would eventually pursue, would you do so?
- Do you feel ill at ease going alone to either a movie or dinner? What about the way you are now living?
- If you knew that in one year, you would suddenly die, would you change anything about the way you are now living?
- Would you like to be famous? In what way?
- What do you strive for the most in your life; accomplishment, security, love, power, excitement, knowledge, or something else?
- You are invited to a party that will be attended by many fascinating people whom you've never met. Would you go if you had to go by yourself?
- Given your ability to project yourself into the past, but not return, would you do so? Where would you go and what would you try to accomplish if you knew you might change the course of history?
- Would you be willing to make a substantial sacrifice to have any of the following: your picture on a postage stamp, your statue in a park, a college named after you, a Nobel Prize, or a national holiday in your honor?
- How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friends do you feel will still be important to you ten years from now.
- If someone were to write a book about you, what do you thing the title would be?
- What things make your life complicated?
- In one line, what is life all about?
- If someone could give you anything in the world for your birthday, what would it be?
- Of all the material possessions you have, what gives you the most pleasure?
- Give three words to describe how you feel right now.
- If you could hang a motto or saying in every home in the world, what would it be?
- Share something that you fear.
- What feelings do you have the most trouble expressing?
- What one quality do you look for most in friends?
- What activity do you engage in that involves all of you - your thoughts and feelings, your body and your spirit?
- When was the last time you cried? Why did you cry?
- Describe the "ideal wife."
- What four things are most important in your life?
- If you wrote a book today, what would the title be?
- If you received $5,000 as a gift on the condition that you spend it, how would you?
- Share one of the happiest days of your life.
- What is something that makes you angry?
- What do you want to be doing in ten years?
- What is your favorite song?
- Describe your life at age 70.
- What do you like most about yourself?
- Share a big letdown in your life.
- Thinking back, what can you identify as a turning point in your life?
- What bit of advice would you give a young man about to get married?
- Complete the statement, "A new world opened up to me when__________.”
- Describe the "ideal husband."
- Share a time in your life when you were embarrassed.
- Do you ever feel lonely? When?
- Complete the statement, "If I could live my life over again__________.”
- Complete the statement, "One thing I missed during my childhood was__________.”
- In what ways do you act like a child?
- Share a frightening moment.
- If you could live anyplace in the world, where would it be? Why?
- What do you like to do in your spare time?
- What is something that makes you feel sad?
- What is something that really "bugs" you?
- What do you dislike most about yourself?
- What do you like most about yourself?
- Share a time when your feelings were hurt.
- What talents do you have? (Don't be modest, be honest!)
- What lifetime dream are you still trying to make come true?
- What talent do you wish you had?
- If you could receive a sixth sense, what would you want it to be?
- If you could receive any spiritual gift, what would you want it to be?
- When do you feel closest to God?
- Jesus wept. (Luke 19:41 & John 11:35) What makes you feel like weeping?
- What is prayer to you?
- What is your favorite hymn or worship song?
- What song would you like sung at your funeral?
- What is your favorite Bible story and why?
- What is your favorite name for God?
- What epitaph do you want on your tombstone?
- Jesus changed Simon's name to Peter, meaning "The Rock". (John 1:42) If Jesus changed your name, what do you think your new name would be?
- Describe "Hell."
- Describe "Heaven."
- If you believe in God, what do you base your belief on?
- What is your definition of sin?
- Share a phrase that comforts you.
- Share an experience of answered prayer.
- What do you think it means to be "Made in the image of God?"
- What does this mean to you: "Bear one another’s' burdens?" (Galatians 6:2)
- Say something about your funeral.
- In what ways does your faith in God affect your life?
- What does "faith” mean to you?
- What does "worship" mean to you?
- What is your definition of a Christian?
- What is something that you think God wants you to do?
- What are three things that you believe about God?
- What do you think your purpose in life is?
- How do you tune into God?
- If you were asked to preach a sermon, what would the title be?
- What is the "Good News" according to you?
- Share a personal spiritual experience.
- How can one know God's will for his/her life?
- Share a time when you believe God led you.
- What character in the Bible do you relate to?
- If you met Jesus face to face, what question would you like to ask Him?
- What kind of animal would you like to be and where would you like to live?
- Describe the "ideal mother."
- Where would you like to go for a vacation if you could go anyplace in the world?
- What does America mean to me?
- What makes you feel frustrated?
- When you are alone and no one can see or hear you, what do you like to do?
- What really turns you off?
- Share three things for which you are thankful.
- If you became President of the United States, what two things would you do?
- Complete the sentence, "The best thing about today is__________.”
- Describe the "ideal father."
- What makes you laugh?
- Tell what makes a happy family.
- What kind of TV commercial would you like to make?
- What would you like to become famous for doing?
- What kind of store would you like to own and operate?
- What would you do if you had a "magic wand?"
- Describe a "good neighbor."
- What would you do if you found $1,000 in a vacant lot?
- If you could change your age, what age would you rather be?
- What is your favorite room in your house? Why?
- Tell about a time when you felt proud of yourself.
- How do you look when you get angry?
- What do you like to daydream about?
- How would you describe yourself to someone who does not know you?
- What do you think it's like after you die?
- What color do you think of when you think of happiness?
- If you could have been someone in history, who would you have been?
- What is the worst thing parents can do to children?
- How do you feel about growing old?
- What is one of your hobbies?
- How do you feel when someone laughs at you?
- Name two famous people you would like to have for parents.
- What do you think about when you fall asleep?
- What gives you "goose bumps?"
- What would you like to invent to make life better?
- If you were a doctor, what ailment would you like to cure?
- What is something you do pretty well?
- If you could become invisible, where would you like to go?
- What would you most like to do or be, for the next five years if there were no limitations (family, money, education, health, etc.)?
- What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
- Who is the most authentic (genuine) person you have met?
- What is your most satisfying accomplishment? Ever? Before you were 6? Between the ages of 6 and 12? Between the ages of 12 and 18? After you turned 25?
- Name your three strongest points.
- Name your three weakest points.
- What is your happiest memory? (at various ages)
- Describe the most significant event in your life.
- Describe the characteristics of the "ideal" woman or man.
- What person(s) besides your parents has/have been the most influential in your life?
- What present would you like to receive?
- Whose approval do you need the most?
- In whose presence are you the most comfortable? Why?
- If you had what you really wanted in life, what would you have?
- List your long-range and short-range goals.
- Describe the most exciting creative person you have known.
- List some creative ways to begin and end a day.
- What do you most often daydream about?
- What do you most trust in?
- Who has changed your life?
- Where would you live if you could, and what would you do there?
- Tell who you are, apart from your titles, honors, or job description.
- What kind of social gathering do you like best?
- What is the best book (apart from the Bible) you have ever read?
- Describe your favorite way of spending spare time.
- What feelings do you have trouble expressing or controlling?
- What makes you feel depressed or "blue?"
- What makes you anxious, worried, or afraid?
- What gives you self-respect?
- Describe the person who has meant most in your life other than a parent or a child. What are that person's outstanding characteristics?
- Who was the first person you felt that really understood you?
- Are you the kind of person others confide in? Why?
- What kind of person do you confide in?
- What makes a person a good listener?
- What kind of listener do you think you have been in this group?
- How do you feel this group has listened to you, both corporately and separately?
- What makes a "good" marriage?
- What would you like most to do in history?
- What is your ideal for the future of society, both immediate and long-range?
- How could you help to change an injustice of which you are aware?